• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sledgemeyers

Sledgemeyers

King

• Members
  • 2426 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 01:21 AM

What did you all think? Anyone who's experienced Crisis Core or played past Act 9.

I just beat it and am... well shocked... after Act 9, I kept wanting it to end... it really, really overstays it's welcome. And how Square-Enix included Genesis and Angeal in the plot really well, it doesn't stick at all for me.

Playing through this game after act 9 felt like the second half of Revenge of the Sith. It just felt like the people making it were trying to cash in on the franchise and fit it together as good as possible to have a sell-able sequel. Or in this case a prequel.

I know they made this just to cash in and I know everyone else knows, but with how wonderful the first half is I wasn't at all expecting the story to just keep Genesis and Angeal for as long as they were in it with such... well, terrible ties to the series. They were solid for a bit, than as the game went on got more and more terribly involved with the story.

Posted Image

Register or sign in to remove this ad!

#2 Xin

Xin

Revenant

• Site Staff
  • 6667 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 01:39 AM

i finished the JPver. a while ago, but the localization on this game is just terrible. I finally got to nibelheim yesterday after two months of sitting it on the bench.

im kinda surprised you like thje first half though, i thought that wasnt too great both times xD
i will say that if were supposed to buy nibelheim being rebuilt as if nothing ever happened in the original ffvii by shinra, then belieivng they covered up the events of ffvii:cc isnt too unbelieveable lulz~

#3 Sledgemeyers

Sledgemeyers

King

• Members
  • 2426 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:00 AM

i finished the JPver. a while ago, but the localization on this game is just terrible. I finally got to nibelheim yesterday after two months of sitting it on the bench.

im kinda surprised you like thje first half though, i thought that wasnt too great both times xD
i will say that if were supposed to buy nibelheim being rebuilt as if nothing ever happened in the original ffvii by shinra, then belieivng they covered up the events of ffvii:cc isnt too unbelieveable lulz~

I really can't explain it. I tried typing a huge explanation, but it was really poorly written and very... convoluted. I can only tell you that it's pretty apparent the "cool factor" and the "nostalgia" were the only parts working for this game.

The "cool factor" is mainly a beginning half of the game thing for me and dried up as soon as the plot fucked itself into oblivion. Angeal fit in pretty ok in the beginning, but as soon as Genesis got to be a bigger character, the story just... it's so dumb.

The "nostalgia" parts were spread pretty thin and really, there's only like two fucking characters that get it the most. Aeirth and Cloud, of course. I also felt for Zack for a lot of the game, but again... as soon as Genesis stepped in, everytime I would be overwhelmed by how much he didn't fit.

This pisses me off due to how I can tell Square views their own game. It's cheap to them; an easy way to gain money. They think it's just plain "cool" to the fans and if they can remake some moments even more "cool" and add some old characters, they'll gain money. They forget the reason why each individual person loved the original game. For me, it was the dark, but hopeful storyline and the colorful characters. The cool for me was when I didn't expect cool shit to happen and it did. Now it's just expected. They've reduced those things I've loved into "awesome lines for those cool characters" and "cool shit to do" to be frank.

The characters felt pretty cliche also, to be fair. Angeal again was awesome in the beginning, but became any other sacrificial mentor. Genesis' persona has been seen at least 17 times before in various movies and games. That one bad guy who retells lines from shit and who wears a lot of plastic.

I don't know what else to say. Most of this was ranting because I'm just so overwhelmingly terrified at what could pop out if Square decides to do a FFVII remake. I prey they don't now. Advent Children was done pretty ok, why can't they just stop and think before they pop something out like they did with AC?

Posted Image

#4 Utopia-X

Utopia-X

Soldier

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:12 AM

I was pleasantly surprised. I thought Advent Children was mediocre and way too over-the-top, and Dirge of Cerberus was one of the worst shooters I've ever played. So the Compilation of FFVII had been nothing more than a bittersweet trip down memory lane for me, but thankfully Crisis Core was actually good. I love how it retold the story of Zack and expanded on it, and the gameplay was really fun. It wasn't a brilliant game, but definitely one of the better ones on the PSP, even if that isn't saying much.

My only complaint is Genesis. Terrible character. I can't stand Gackt as it is, but having him as a mediocre villain whose character constantly quotes vague, poorly-written poetry is even worse. Also, the side missions were pretty shallow and repetitive, but they're not exactly a main feature so I won't complain too much.

Edited by Utopia-X, 24 July 2008 - 01:13 AM.

Posted Image

#5 WayfarerEvangelist

WayfarerEvangelist

Peasant

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:48 PM

I think the game was good and that the backstory "worked", but the fact that they added Genesis into the scene where Sephiroth discovers the reality of what he is really aggravated me. I collect all the guides as, well, they're collectors items, and it clearly states in Angeal and Genesis' profiles "they did NOT appear in FFVII" and yet Genesis is in the first Nibel Reactor scene. WTF!? If he wasn't in the original game, he shouldn't be in ANY scene from the original game. I think we'd all love to see FFVII in high definition graphics, but not if they're going to add things into scenes that shouldn't be there.

Fine, make another sequel including Genesis after Dirge of Cerberus, Square Enix, but don't add things into a game that don't belong. Genesis was never in that scene, and he never should be. If he has to exist, then keep it to the back story and the now tedious spin-offs. I liked Crisis Core until this point, and I liked it a lot more when the Nibelheim scenes came in....until Genesis showed up at the Nibel Reactor. This now makes me very worried about a remake. They've messed this one up for me now...big time.

Don't get me wrong, I'll follow FFVII to the end, but something's changed. No, two things have changed. Hironobu Sakaguchi no longer works for Square, and it was a mistake for Square to merge with Enix. Of course, milking FFVII for all it's worth wasn't a bad idea IF they'd managed to get it right. They got the right idea until Nibelheim when they altered one of the major events in what was depicted in FFVII. Even the layout in the sector 5 slums wasn't right (I mean where they put the park and the likes...the park is where the rugged, broken machine path is meant to be to get to sector 6).

I don't know what you guys think, but if you reply here, I can't guarantee when I'll return to post replies as I do a lot of other stuff online as well.

#6 M J Maranan

M J Maranan

Lord

• Members
  • 1434 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:54 PM

The cool factor, in my opinion, of the spin-off games were that the action was in real-time, which was a change from turn-based. Alas, the mechanics of the Limit Break system was annoying at best, Zack had a Slots system that was fixed while Vincent had to use a "Limit Breaker" item that doesn't even last for a long time. Obviously, rehashed events and the inclusion of Genesis really downspiraled the awesomeness of Final Fantasy VII. What a way to destroy the series.
If you see this... +1 Post Point!

#7 darklordmagus

darklordmagus

Ranger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:11 AM

Alright, so I just finished Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII and here are my impressesions.
Level: 89
Game time: 85.15 hours
Mission Completion: 300/300
DMW Scene Completion: 100% all images
Stats: all stats max 255 except Luck (96??), HP 99 999, mp + ap = normal growth (around 700-850)

First I'll start off by saying... WHAT AN ENDING. I wont spoil it for anyone, but even though I knew what was going to happen, SE finished this game off with a real bang. I have NEVER, EVER felt for a character the way I have felt for Zack. He really is the true hero of the compilation. I cried like a freakin baby!, my dog was tring to console me as I was wiping tears trying to finish watching the scenes - and I'm a grown freakin adult! (I guess that shows my love for the overall story and characters).

Ok so here's what I thought of the game.

Starting with story. Yes I agree there were a few discrepencies with the Nibelheim incident, including the G fator, but I think that overall it will add to the story. If they remake FFVII with the updated graphics, i think that adding in a scene or two, or even a HINT of Deep Ground and Genesis' whereabouts will be cool, especially with a sequal coming out. I think that G will redeem himself in the sequal btw... just a thought. Other than that, I think the story started off cool, dipped a little in the earlier wutai chapters and then got REALY bloody good coming to chapter 5/6 and on. The learning curve that we as the player go on with zack's story is like one i've never seen in a game of this shortness in playtime. my 85 hours where mostly completion of missions and materia fusion early, as well as DMW completion. Overall story time took maybe 20-25 hours max, and im guestimating. I really think I have a new appreciation for Sephiroth as a Hero gone bad, and for reasons that were made much clearer this time around. I just wish they would have shown more about his transformation/flipping out on the town in a cool in game and LONG sequence. The interactive ending was cool and I tried to make it last... those of you who played it know what i mean...

On a more serious discussion about Cloud and his Amnesia at the start of FFVII and his seemingly lack of it at the end of CC, i believe that words are interpreted by people in different ways, and when he calls himself a Soldier 1st class, I believe he is doing so partially in realizing he's living Zack's final wish, but as well the Jenova cells are acting upon his mako reaction and eventually cause him to believe his thoughts and memories of Zack.

**SPOILER**

Also i was quite surprised to see Superboss Minerva as the Goddess. the calamity that fell from the sky, and not jenova, as the goddess of G's Loveless. G seems to be returned to a state where he does not deteriorate anymore, but is taken by DeepGround, and we will eventually have the new sequal based on this I believe.

**END SPOILER**

GAMEPLAY - i think it was REALLY fun. I like the action, I like the ability to sift through the attack and magic options, and I like the ability to roll away in fights, or rotate the camera outside of fights. THE ONLY annoying thing to me was the "random" aspect of DMW scenes. Also, when the stuff about wutai was over in the story parts, the missions kept going on and on about them, or when Gs clones are destroyed, the missions keep them coming, and it doesn't make sense, but they are pretty repetetive yet fun at the same time. I was a super-Zack at the beginning of Chapter 6 thanks to a lot of grinding for hp+ materia and SP farming :) . The accessory aspect was alright, but I wish more than 4 slots were available as i find 2/4 genji accessories were pointless as I had the divine slayer and ziedrich accessories to complement the other two genjies.

Graphics: if they remake FFVII, if not for the ps3, at LEAST the PSP, please do it to this effect, with the same voices. thanks.!.... amazing. not even including the cinema scenes, i was blown at the detail and animational effects.... the CG scenes blew me away, especially the final scenes and the summon matera... if only those item DMW characters were in cinema too!... I like the change in clothing aspect of the game, and i loved the realism but a hint of original ffvii designs in characters thanks to advent children and dirge:)

Sound. The sound was cool, some effects were repeated for different things not related and picked up if you're paying attention but overall good, especially with good quality headphones. Music was great and it really made the feel like FFVII psx, and the remixed versions either kept me pumped to go on or made me feel even more in reminiscance (sp?) of the original title.

Overall i think this game was stellar. Genesis didn't bother me as the game drew to a close, and i kinda think he's a cool and cultural character. I, being an artist, felt that his cultured nature refreshing from the rehashed cloud/squal/tidus characters... He made Sephiroth look even more cool, angeal more honourable, and himself a part of soldier lore. Yes, he is no Sephy, but stylistically still bloody cool!

For the aspects of the game I wish would carry over for the remake of FFVII. More clarity on Soldier's demise as told through story about Angeal, Genesis and even more about the good side of sephiroth and not just "he was a hero". I also think that they should touch on zack much more, show aerith reuniting with him when she dies, a cinema on that would be awesome where he explains himself... and DEFINATELY more information that Sephiroth in FFVII is really Jenova reincarnate until the black materia is given to the real body of sephiroth in the northern cave. I had to read Ultimatnia on wiki about that and I was like HUH!!! and i've played FFVII 5 times.... possibly a better translation! heheh

ok enough of my rant. ending was phenomenal, what ffvii remake should be, long and extended; the game was good and well balanced, and although not right away, but i WILL New Game + and play right through the story mode to play as a whole rather than broken in chunks.

darklordmagus

Currently Playing: Chrono Trigger & Cross, Dragons Crown, Knack, FFV & VI GBA, tLoU, Super Mario 3D World, Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword
Just Finished Playing: Killzone Mercs
Currently Watching: NHL 2013-14 Season... My 2.5 year old son getting smarter every day (literally a Little Einstein...)... my 2nd child

PSN: darklordmagus XBL: jkoiou
FFXIV: Magus Zeal

#8 Strife Cloud

Strife Cloud

Peasant

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:10 PM

What? I enjoyed this game from beginning to end. I was a bit disappointed in the ending though.

Spoiler

Posted Image

#9 FastDebrid

FastDebrid

Peasant

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:00 AM

How many acts does this game really have?
I know I've finished this.
(That's the part where Zack dies right? Then the rest of the game is a short film after that.)

Posted Image

============================================================================================

Posted Image
Fast-Debrid
download in 50 file hosting services like
Megaupload, Fileserve, MegaVideo, Hotfile, Rapidshare..

Edited by FastDebrid, 03 October 2011 - 02:01 AM.

#10 darklordmagus

darklordmagus

Ranger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:52 AM

wow what a blast from the past. I just re-read my post after beating CC, and it's making want to really pick up the new game +... if only I had more time....
If I remember correctly the game had 10-12 chapters...

Currently Playing: Chrono Trigger & Cross, Dragons Crown, Knack, FFV & VI GBA, tLoU, Super Mario 3D World, Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword
Just Finished Playing: Killzone Mercs
Currently Watching: NHL 2013-14 Season... My 2.5 year old son getting smarter every day (literally a Little Einstein...)... my 2nd child

PSN: darklordmagus XBL: jkoiou
FFXIV: Magus Zeal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users